Tuesday, December 25, 2012

How to have the best Christmas ever abroad

This is the second Christmas that I've spent in Central America apart from my family, and I must say the first one was much more enjoyable than this one, but this one was also quite grand. Would you like the recipe for this grand Christmas? Of course you would (¡Claro que sí!)!
Well, starting Sunday morning my stomach and head and whole body felt pretty awful. Sunday was ok, but yesterday I left school early because I was totally exhausted (even after getting a full night's sleep), so I told my teacher that at the break time I'd need to go home and sleep because I couldn't learn anything (Pienso que después de la descansa tengo que regresar a mi casa para dormir porque no puedo aprender nada). When I got home I slept for 7 hours, skyped with my brothers for a little bit, read my book a little bit, and then went to bed for the night around 9:30. Unfortunately, this meant that I missed the Christmas celebration with my host family because here in Guatemala they celebrate Christmas at midnight Christmas Eve, with a big dinner and presents and tons of fireworks, but it's all good because the fireworks still managed to wake me up at midnight and keep me up until about 12:30.
Anyways, I woke up this morning feeling much better. Only, my head hurt from laying down for so long. Haha! But I actually ate something for breakfast (I didn't eat anything yesterday) and stayed awake for the whole day. I opened a card that my amazing friend Erin gave me before I left, and of course she's going to come visit me if I stay long enough (I hope!). I got to skype with this really great guy in Germany (sorry ladies, he does not have a brother. Haha!) and then I got to skype with my ridiculous family...and a clove of garlic with a face. And the internet actually worked this time (for the most part)!!

Then, get this: I. Left. The. House. WOW! Not only did I eat and stay awake all day, but I also went to a fellow student's house to have some dinner and conversation (mostly in English). We had food that I've actually had before back home (mashed potatoes, soup, ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, etc.) and there were some fireworks shot off...maybe a little too close to where everyone was sitting, but whatevs. ¡Es la vida! (That's life!) Then I got to come home and review the conditional future tense and do my homework that's due tomorrow.
So here's the recipe for a great Christmas abroad (the condensed version):
 1. Get sick a day or two before
 2. Wake up feeling better
 3. Eat something!
 4. Chat with you most favorite people in the world (and maybe a clove of garlic)
 5. Get out of the house

When all is combined, it makes for a really great Christmas. Different, but still great (I mean, this is my year for all things different, right?). I hope you all also had a great Christmas and I hope that your New Years is a fantastic one!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you remember your Christmas with us in Panama fondly! Sounds like you're having a fabulous time. Merry Christmas and may the new year bring you good health, increased comprehension and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete