Friday, January 25, 2013

Cooking for one

I've decided that working at camp all those years has ruined me! Well, not ruined me, but it's made it really hard for me to cook for only myself. I start cooking way too early, so that when my food is ready I'm not hungry yet, but if I wait until I'm hungry my food will be cold and it's never as good microwaved. I cook way too much food! Last night I made enough stir fried veggies and fried rice for 4 people, but the container I have only fit about half the food so I had to make myself eat all the rest (first world problems in a third world nation). Then there's shopping for the food....how am I supposed to know what I'm going to want to eat for the next few days?! Also, how am I supposed to carry it all home?! It's so weird only buying like 2 cucumbers and a pound of oatmeal. I think we buy 25-pound bags of oatmeal for camp (or is it 50? I can't remember...I just know it's giant!).
 But I think it's mostly just the quantity thing that messes me up all the time. I would totally just make a ton and have leftovers for the next few days, but my allotted space in the fridge is small and there aren't really any containers to put stuff in in my shared kitchen. I would buy some, but then I either have to leave them here or take them with me when I move again....that sounds like a pain. And they're expensive. Well, if converted to US$ then they're not, but I'm trying to live the life of the Q, so they're expensive. I think I need to make some good friends and rent a house with them here so we can do meals together, then I'd cook the right amount and I wouldn't have to cook three meals a day (and I'd also get to live with my friends). Win, win, and win again! Or I could just get this whole cooking for one thing down. But we all know that the moment I become pro-status at just cooking for myself I'll be back home and Steve will want me to share with him all the yummy stuff I cook. Again, first world problems. When I was staying with a family down here, they never had leftovers! Somehow they always made the perfect amount of food for everyone...and they always had a different number of people at every meal! Maybe I should hang out with them more and have them teach me their ways, but I still don't think that would help with the whole cooking for only myself thing.
 I looked up ideas on pinterest (yes, Carol, you've turned me into someone who turns to pinterest for ideas!) for easy/not boring meals for one. There were a lot of good ideas, but a lot of the ingredients on the "ideal shopping lists" were things that seem a little hard to find here/more expensive since it'd all be imported. I wonder if there's a Guatemalan pinterest. Hmmm...I could make millions off this idea! Or maybe not. Anyways, I'm thinking I'll get pretty good at cooking for one eventually...and then I'll invite you over for dinner and you'll leave starving. So maybe I should have to over for a potluck, then if you leave starving it'll be partially your fault too.

No comments:

Post a Comment