Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Anxiety Dreams

You know that dream right before your first day of school where you oversleep and miss class, or you can't find your classes, or you can't find your locker, can't remember your locker combination, forget to bring your lunch, etc.? 


Well, I had that dream last Saturday night, except about church. It was super weird! I dreamt that I went to the early service at First Pres and got really distracted afterwards talking with people I hadn't seen in a while and then for some weird reason I thought I had time to come home in between First Pres and South Lakeshore but when I started pulling into the garage it was way smaller than when I'd left that morning (true story: I'm already freaked out I'm going to bump into something every time I pull into the garage). I somehow managed to get the car into the garage, but then I couldn't really get out of the car so I climbed out of the sunroof. When I checked the time it was 10:43 and church started at 10:45 so I was like, "Crap, I have to leave right now....actually I needed to have left like 15 minutes ago!" So I start climbing back into the car and my step mom comes out and asks if I like how she'd fixed the garage and says she and my dad need the car so they can go to their church and they're already running late because they were waiting for me to get back with the car (true story: my step mom is in Laos right now, so it kinda freaked me out that she was back without me even noticing). So I'm pretty sure I just decided not to go to South Lakeshore in the end of that dream because I was already so late and I remember my dream-self thinking "How could I forget what time church started? And how could I have talked to people at First Pres for so long without realizing how late it was getting?"

When I woke up it was super weird because I realized that it'd been so long since I'd been to church (I didn't go all summer because I was at camp) that it was like the first day of school again. I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat right now wondering if I made it to both churches on time and the answer is yes. But, funny story, I thought I was going to be super early for South Lakeshore because I went straight from First Pres so I stopped at Winco to get some cookies (I promised I'd bring someone cookies) and when I pulled up to the church I saw the sign saying the service is at 10:30, not 10:45...so my dream was partially right in that I would have been late if I'd relied on my own memory. Anyways, I thought it was super weird to have that dream about church. I've had it about school before the first day of every new quarter (and even once this summer, weird!), but never about church. I don't think I've ever gone so long in my life without going to church. It was great to be back! I hope I don't have any more weird anxiety dreams like that, although I'll probably dream about missing my flight to Guatemala (which I bought my ticket for this last weekend!!!!!) and getting lost on my way to Spanish class. Actually, I bet I'll have a ton of anxiety dreams in the next year. Maybe this one was just a test.

No comments:

Post a Comment