Tuesday, October 30, 2012

One Thousand Gifts

You know that moment when you finish a really, really, really good book that took you forever to get through because you had to put it down every 2 minutes to copy down some mind-blowing thought recorded on its pages? I just had that moment. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp is the best book I've read in a long time. There are multiple pages in my journal filled with quotes from this book that made me stop and think. There have been so many times since I started reading this book that something has made me think of one of those quotes or concepts recorded in my journal. There's so much simple truth in the pages of this book. I don't even really know how to describe it. The overarching theme of the book is having a heart of thanksgiving (eucharisteo). She was challenged by a friend to write down 1000 gifts from God and in the process she began to see how, when you're looking for gifts, they are all around you. 
You know how there are some books that you finish and think, "Wow, that was a really good book," and then you just go on with your life? This is not that kind of book. This is the kind of book that you finish and think, "How did I not know all of this before? And how can I not begin to practice the concepts of this book?" and then your whole way of thinking about things is changed. Forever. 
Read it. It's amazing. Ann's writing style takes a little getting used to, but the things she has to say are well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment